The new agriculture agreement between the EU and Morocco states that the privileges granted to Moroccan products entering European markets will also be given, without discrimination and under the same conditions, to products coming from Morocco’s Sahara provinces.
This agreement was adopted by the EU parliament (444 in favour, 167 against and 68 abstentions).
Read more (Communiqué of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation after the adoption by the European Parliament of the Moroccan-European Union Agriculture Agreement)
1. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation welcomes the adoption, on Wednesday, January 16th, 2019, in plenary session in Strasbourg, of the Exchange of Letters on the Agriculture Agreement, between the Kingdom of Morocco and the European Union.
2. This agreement explicitly emphasizes that agriculture and fisheries products from the southern provinces of the Kingdom benefit from the same tariff preferences as those covered by the Association Agreement. It also confirms that any agreement covering the Moroccan Sahara can only be negotiated and signed by the Kingdom of Morocco in the exercise of its full sovereignty over this part of its territory.
3. This vote, by an overwhelming majority, has crowned a long process of technical negociation, political concertation et legal validations, between Morocco and the European Union.
4. Throughout this process, Morocco has been driven by a triple logic:
a. The non-negotiable defense of the Kingdom’s territorial integrity and the fundamentals of its position towards the Moroccan Sahara;
b. The preservation of its economic interests in an important sector with a privileged trading partner;
c. A genuine commitment to a multidimensional and deep partnership with the European Union.
5. Morocco would like to express its appreciation towards the action of all European institutions and member States of the EU, and their continued commitment in a spirit of responsibility, in order to confront the maneuvers and attacks by Algeria and the polisario to torpedo this age-old partnership.
6. Morocco considers that the adoption of this Agreement constitute a solid base for a full recovery of its partnership with the EU, in order to face together the regional challenges, and seize its opportunities, within a spirit of clarity, responsibility and ambition.